Monday, September 20, 2010

Time for a breather

On Friday afternoon, I figured that I had a nice relaxing weekend at home, maybe get a bit of gardening done but that was it. Today I am struggling to walk up stairs, and have a very rosy complexion (inadequate sunscreen application..) and lots of photos to scrap, as well as having a little boy home with me who was too tired to even talk this morning. Last minute (as in Saturday night) we decided to go skiing for the day with some friends. Up at 5:30 am (ha, I had forgotten such an hour existed!!) and off to Perisher with Henry in tow.



It was a glorious day, but as I hadn't skied for 10 years, it was an exhausting day. Henry went into lessons and I skied with Michelle, Pete and Duncan. Geoff took Jasper off for some harder runs. Worst moment, falling over under a quad chair and being completely unable to get u[p - the bindings on my skis didn't work properly so taking the skis off wasn't an option. So after a very classy relaxation period (ie laying flat on my back, maybe flayling around just a bit, hoping nobody would drop anything on me) I rolled, oh so elegantly and managed to find my way back to a less scary place. But my knee wasn't the same and i retired (quite eagerly) after one more run.

Henry enjoyed his lessons and is keen to go back and on days like today it's hard not to be happy just to be here.



if only I could walk today..

Before all this happened I had a phone call from mum saying that Mick (big brother) was going to be in town. He was organising some sort of bike ride for police (details were sketchy at this stage). So Meaghan, Henry and I went off to the police memorial to check out the action. I told the kids there might be anywhere from 20 to 80 bikes coming. I had no idea.

Turns out that this was a ride to remember all those police who had lost their lives in the call of duty. Over 600 riders from around the country turned up, along with most of the police commissioners. Mick was loaned a brand new Harley to ride for the day and thanked all the riders in the official memorial service. The kids (and myself) just about burst with pride. It was funny watching those around the lake who didn't know what was happening because a huge bunch of bike riders is an intimidating site.

Anyway as I was completely unable to do much today i got to scrap this and will soon attempt some skiing pages.

The first is for Scrapping the Music, using the Daydream song. This is Henry playing on the Memorial with the other kids before all the bikes arrived. I wasn't sure if this was respectful so i stopped him, but it is a lovely place for kids to come and run.

The next is using Design Dollies sketch for the week. This shows Mick at the head of the pack (just behind the official police bikes) and then when the kids met up with him and his shiny bike.


So from a quiet weekend to one I am just starting to recover from - All good though.

xx

4 comments:

KarenB said...

What a huge weekend! I like your snow piccies - It's been over a decade since I last went to the snow, but we don't have too many ski fields in SE Qld, LOL!!!

Loving those layouts. The bike gathering must have been an amazing sight, and how cool that you've got a page scrapped already.



PS: Love your new blog header!

Peggy said...

neat pictures, great job on the sketch

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo's!
Loving your layouts! The STM one is gorgeous!love the layers, the colors and the photo's! Beautiful title!
Thank you so much for joining us at Scrapping The Music!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! What a great weekend you had...and how AMAZING that they all came to ride for those who lost their lives in the line duty! That is soooooooooo inspiring!! i love love love love love your LO's!!! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS as always! :):):):):) Thanks soooooooooooooo much for playing along with Scrapping the Music! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)