Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My travel journal

I needed a travel journal and looked high and low for one similar to my old one. It was wonderful, a nice thick cover with a lovely whimsical cover (by Lorelei Jenner), spiral bound, lots of plastic pockets for tickets etc and lots of space to writye in. It went every where with us last trip and I was desperate to find the same but alas, the company no longer make pracctical travel journals.

So I found the next best option which was this - the cover is not to my taste at all.


I glued some plastic folders in the back and redid the cover. And as it is my last guest spot for Designer Dollies, Layer it up, that is exactly what I did.


First gesso over the original images, sorry old men...
then paint, mist a few tags and then another thinner layer of gesso. more misting, some rubons, the lovely picture of an unknown lady (I like her - she seems to be ready for adventure with a stiff upper lip!!) and then some bling.

I am quite prepared for all of the bumpy bits to be dislodged, probably before we leave Singapore, but that's OK.

Oh and this is the back. Does not match the front at all, but I like it. It is nice and flat and I used an image from Glenn Baxter who cracks me up with his illustrations. Go check out his site, even if it is purely for the first illustration.

The map paper is from Digital Designers, not sure where the quote is from.

So I quite like the finished product, all in all. I hope it can stand up being constantly shoved into my back pack!!

Go check out the latest Dollie challenge, lots of layers are always fun to play with.

I'll be back tomorrow with the latest Southern Girls Challenge.

And I have the house ALL TO MYSELF - HOORAY!! For a few hours anyway, first time in an age, so very peaceful with the rain falling outside.

ahh, feel the serenity.

xx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You have done a fantastic job on your travel journal...heaps better than how you bought it LOL! When do you leave for your trip...sounds soooo exciting!
Alicia xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I love love love love love love love love this Karen!! I loveeeeeeee the layers!! Have fun on your trip! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Irini said...

OH My God!!!!
the journal is gorgeous!!!
what a fantastic job you have done absolutely love it!
Can't wait to see what you will put inside it!!
have fun....have a great trip!!