Thursday, January 26, 2012

white on white

I haven't entered a Southern Girls Challenge since I left the DT and I miss the girls. So I was determined to enter the next challenge and boy is it a bit of a toughie. White on white. End result very hard to photograph properly, an exercise in frustration, essp on a very overcast day here. (what is that all about? it's Australia day - it's supposed to be stinking hot not sort of mild!!)

I thought a black and white photo would work best and Meaghan had taken this stunning (I think anyway) photo of her cousin Emma. I haven't cropped it at all, she is a natural photographer (am I biased? probably!).

I used a woodgrain mask and gesso to create the textured background and layered on the lace and flowers. The gesso does make the cardstock buckle a bit but love the look. And I am a bit pleased with the way it turned out!

Oh the look on Emma's face, while it looks deep and meaningful is actually the glazed look of a child playing Mario cart on the Wii...

Have a great Australia Day. We are off to friends tonight for a barbie, kids will swim but too cold for the more sensible (boring) adults. xxx

9 comments:

Irini said...

Stunning stunning stunning!!....what can i say everything is perfect from the photo to the mask the pretty flowers...just gorgeous you have wowed me!!
Oh by the way I have the same look on my face when I play Mario cart on the Wii...just not as cute!! LOL
hugz
irini

Louise F NZ said...

Gorgeous, but then I think I am totally biased.lol. Love your work babe and you totally rocked our challenge.xox

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwww! This is GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeee that photo, the flowers and all the white! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Francine said...

Great layout Karen. I love how you did the background! The photo is gorgeous too, so you may be biased, but your thoughts are well founded.

TeenaBugg38 said...

OMG Im speechless........what have you done to me?????? This is beyond beautiful Karen, it really is!!! All of that white is so stunning, I just know if I had created that someone would come thiur my house and spill chocolate all over it and then the remainder of the layout would be covered in the blood of the chocolate holder.

AWESOMEEEEEEEEE job!!!!

Heather Jacob said...

wow o wow o wowo!!!!!! this is a stunning piece of art .. and that pic is perfect with it ... love it Karen .. hugz x

Viv said...

Wow ! Karen, this is gorgeous! LOVE the woodgrain effect and what a very cool pic! You rocked the challenge hun! Thanks for playing at Southern Girls.
Viv

Bettina L. said...

Wow this is really beautiful. I love the texture in the paper, makes it look like white wood. The flower arrangement and lace together with the gorgeous image makes it stunning. Thanks for playing at Southern Girls and good luck. Hope to see you back again really soon. Bettina xx

Mitralee said...

omGOODNESS THIS is stunnning!! And then you put that last line in there about concentration and mario kart and I had a good chuckle! Great job!