Friday, April 1, 2011

So Excited!!



I have been looking forward to this month because - ta dah - I am guest designer at Crafty Croppers!! Irini and her team create some of the most gorgeous stuff, sigh. Just love it!! And now it's my turn.

The first challenge of the month was a total challenge for me - here it is
Soon we will be celebrating Easter.
Do you make and send Easter cards?
Do you decorate the house with eggs and baskets?
Your challenge is:
To make something for Easter whether it be an Easter basket for your
child's teacher or Easter cards, painted eggs or
garlands...get creative and have fun.

Now as we all know, I don't do cards. I have enough crafty addictions without adding to them..

So an off the page project was in the offing, so to speak. I will admit to grand ideas of an Easter Garland with paper eggs alternating with chocolate eggs, for hanging in the garden while the traditional egg hunt was on. Well, I created the paper eggs, hung some beads from the bottom, and started stringing them together. They looked truly dreadful. A complete fail whale, as my darling children would say. sigh. Time to start again.

I struck on the idea of a painted and decorated birds house with a hinged lid to put eggs in and be able to easily access them as well (can't have anything stand between the children -ok me- and chocolate..)

Off to the nearest big hardware store - no bird house but they did have a great little kit to make a bird feeder. Perfect. Very quick to put together.

After that it was a matter of painting and staining, doing some fussy cutting (!!) with the very yummy Cosmo Cricket c1934 ginger paper that came in my last Cocoa Daisy kit.

Hmm still not that Eastery, so a quick search of the Digi Cosmo Cricket site (available at Jessica Sprague, here) I downloaded some Easter files - isn't he a very cute bunny?- printed them on sticky back canvas and put them on.

The egg down the bottom and the butterfly cut outs are from Kaiser Crafts and the grass chip board holding the egg in was a lovely RAK from Irini (perfect- thank you xxx).


More photos - I am so pleased with the way it turned out - all the family approve - a rare thing.

All Ready for hanging in a tree for Easter.


It was all so quick as well. The fussy cutting was by far and away the most time consuming
bit. If you had a premade bird feeder and some appropriate stickers, this would
come together in a flash.


So put something together for Easter and show it off. Can't wait to
see what everyone else comes up with - should be fun. Pop on
over to Crafty Croppers and
check out all the talented ladies
and their lovely works of art.
And the slightly dodgy photo of me
was taken
in a hotel room in Laos. It is safe to say the windows were
the best part of the room..


Oh and all the eggs were gone within 2 days...

No more until Easter now!

Ps - you would think that being guest designer for
a Greek based site
would come with some sort of
holiday, say checking out the Greek
isles for example.
But much as I check the mailbox, I have yet
to come across any airline tickets. sigh.


guess i'll just have to save up myself;)

7 comments:

Dolly Daydreams said...

Karen welcome to the Get Creative team look forward to working with you and seeing your fantastic creations this month. What a beautiful piece of art, so much work went into this but is definitely worth it. Lovely colours and embellishments well done !

Marie

Laura said...

Ooh, I love that - so pretty. It'll look great in the garden!

wendipooh13 said...

ohhhh that is sooo stinkin cute and totally adorable!!! I LOVE that!!! Way to go!!!

Meikoningin said...

Hi Karen, what a lovely easter house you made !! It looks totally gorgeous :D About the bunnies you commented on, yes i drew the pattern myself. I can give you some measurements : from the bottom to the top of the bunnies ears is 17 cm. The base is 7,5 cm wide and the body up to the bunnies neck is 7,5 cm high. The ears are abou 6 cm in length. Good luck !

Irini said...

Karen I still would love to have seen the garland!!! dreadful or not!!
I wish the prize could be a trip to the Greek isles.....we can only wish....!!

Francine said...

Karen this is gorgeous! What a beautiful addition it will make to the yard - just make sure you [or maybe your kids;)] get to the eggs before any birds do!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable. What a fabulous and fun creation.
Regards Florence.